Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Lupus ..... Really?

So I have been struggling for about 2 years now with.... well just not feeling well, ever. I blamed it on many things (and so did doctors).
1) age
2) weight
3) working mother of three
4) depression
5) working in a petri dish
...... and the list goes on
Symptoms
1) exhaustion - like mono for those of you who have had it
2) low grade fevers - nightly
3) joint aches and pains
4) sore throats (strep throat aside)

The decision was that I needed to see a Rheumatologist. This was a little disheartening seeing as I was sure the I had mono again and I was thinking someone was going to tell me to take some time off work. My bloodwork showed that I had a positive ANA, which says that I have an auto-immune disorder. (Do you know how many of those there are? Lots!) Autoimmune means that you body fights itself. Funny, why doesn't my body fight the strep throat and numerous sinus infections? Nope, instead its going to kill off my blood platelets. Anyway, all of this was frustrating information. Diagnosis from the first rheumatologist was that I had 3 indicators for Lupus, and I needed 1 one to say that I actually had it. So I kept saying, so I don't have it. She said, well.... no but.... basically we're waiting for the other shoe to drop (my words, not hers). So she started treating me as she would someone with confirmed Lupus.

Something about this whole thing has never felt right. Still have most of the same symptoms, less with the medication that I am on, but they're still there. Very livable, but annoying. At my mom's request, I went to see a new doctor. He's more of a glass half full kind of guy. His outlook on this whole thing is much more what I need. He says I don't have Lupus, and statistically he doesn't really think I will get it. Now I do have some sort of auto-immune disorder, but he says it may not be anything more than the ITP (low platelet issue). Unfortunately, I have these achy joints to contend with so he is keeping me on the same medication (which is actually for malaria, go figure). Says he can't explain the sore throats though, apparently unrelated.

Anyway, it was a good day. I got a lot more information, and I am going to stop waiting for the other shoe to drop because apparently it's probably not going to.

So..... Lupus...... Really? I say NOPE!

PS-- Any Doctors who may read this (ha, ha!) My apologies for anything I said incorrectly.

3 comments:

  1. AAAAAACK!!!!!!

    That's what I have to say about that. I like your second doctor best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about lupus - I worked with a lady who had a collagen vascular disease that mimicked lupus, but not sure how her symptoms lined up against yours. so sorry that there still isn't an exact dx - but i do like the second doctor's opinion better.

    ReplyDelete