Sunday, February 21, 2010

Putting it out There

Well, I'm putting it out there. I'm going to "run" a 10K. Now this may not seem like a big deal to some, but I've always had a mental block against running. However, I've always really admired people who could do it. My dad began running marathons in his thirties and into his forties. He ran 12 in all, and I was so proud of him at every one. I loved going to his races, and not just because we usually got McDonalds for breakfast after the start of the race, but because it was amazing. The amount of people, all the excitement and commotion, and the anticipation of dad crossing the finish line. Really awesome! No marathon for me..... 6.2 miles is about all I can wrap my brain around right now.

I'm "running" it with my friend Rachel (who is amazing herself by the way). She has recently lost over 100 pounds and is accumulating many miles every week. I hope she doesn't mind me putting that out in blog land, but she is truly inspirational.

I added a countdown clock for myself because I need to get on track (no pun intended.) I haven't been doing any training because of my constant strep throat (or at least that is what I keep telling myself). Now it is out there. It's not easy to go back on something that you put out there for all the world to see. So wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck!!! And I love love love what you the blog remodel! It looks awesome! Cool countdown too. I knew you'd get into this blogging thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for you! You can totally do this! Here is why I love races...
    1. setting and completing goals
    2. taking baby steps (i love making schedules)
    3. finding things out about yourself (the best part in my opinion)

    I seriously don't like running, but I think doing something you don't love is so healthy sometimes. Get yourself outside of the box.

    Here's my tips...because you know I run a lot:) But I did do a half and walk a full and organize a half every year.
    1. good...no great music...let me know if you need some
    2. great shoes
    3. go watch some races before then...sit at the finish line and don't just watch the winners, watch the people who are barely coming in before the timeline. you get the best emotion there - SO INSPIRING!!!!
    4. be proud of small goals. i don't think i could run a mile right now, but if I did I would shout for joy...announce it to the world and then go run a mile and a half tomorrow. so smart of you to "put it out there" on your blog. you know we will be watching you and cheering you on!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah for you and the 10K...Did you say which one you were running...DID NOT KNOW you had a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I wish I could run a 5K with you. And you know me, I hate running. But I would do it for/with you. Maybe we should plan that sometime--like 4th of July 2011. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy- Thanks & Keep your fingers crossed!
    Cass- Thanks for all the tips... much appreciated... still really nervous.
    Shelly - It's CVS in Cleveland.... It's attached to the marathon that they do.
    *E* - You're on! I'm hoping to keep it up if I can accomplish this. More goals might keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! Go Nanc! running and I have never gotten along! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete